Thursday, November 4, 2010

This is pretty much how I feel right now



My presentation this morning went AWEOME. My secret? Do the proper amount of research, but under no circumstances should you ever rehearse what you want to say. Totally worked. =] Also, my teacher adores me. I am without a doubt the darling of the class, haha. I really like her; she's very sweet and definitely a history dork like I am.

And! I have a presentation tomorrow in my EU class, and I just finished researching all the coolest news stories for it. I feel so edu-ma-cated! Since they're all auf Deutsch, I won't post it here, but here's what's up in Germany this last week:

1. Someone sent Chancelor Merkel a pipe bomb on Tuesday, but luckily it did not detonate. It said it came from the Greek Economic Ministry, but they're not positive of the origins of the bomb. This isn't the first time this has happened in recent history- just the day before four bombs were sent to various Embassies in Athens. Two detonated, and one man was minimally injured.

2. Merkel just passed legislation that extends the use of 17 nuclear power plants throughout Germany. The german hippies have their panties in a wad and there are massive demonstrations going on all over Germany. Most notably, a huge sign was hung from Merkel's party's headquarters a few days ago:

Directly translated, it doesn't make sense, but basically they're slamming her for catering to the desires of the nuclear companies, and putting Germany's safety on the back burner.

3. There was an integration conference in Berlin yesterday. This is by far Germany's biggest struggle/news story/problem (however you want to look at it). Originally it was believed that by living side-by-side, people would learn to accept each other and live in a multicultural (multi-kulti) world. Didn't work. Their plan now? Dish out about 400 billion euros for extra help for children of immigrants.
I am so for this. Go Germany! These poor kids stand very little chance of success without this aide. America is fairly immigrant/xenophobic, but Germany (historically speaking--not just the Nazi era) is much worse. I'm hoping things get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment