Monday, October 11, 2010

Heyyy... let's go to Stuttgart

18.08.10

By some act of God, we made it to Stuttgart and even found a4 person hostel room. This was by far the longest and most stresfull day we'veshared, but we got through it. Stuttgart is not what I would call a beautifulcity; it has a very dry, urban look to it. The upside to being here is thatJ&J met a girl from Stuttgart and she and her boyfriend took us aroundtoday, and tonight we met a bunch of her friends. The social culture here isshockingly different, at least in my opinion. I feel like in America, we don't communicate. Sure, we can text until thecows come home, and kids like to get retardedly drunk together and basicallytake turns courting the toilet, but here, groups of friends sip beers and talkfor hours. Not to mention smokecigarette after cigarette. I think it'll be really difficult at first to adaptto this, because I assume I'll always be tired in the evenings after havingtranslated stuff in my head all day, but I love the idea of face-to-faceinteraction. Tomorrow I'm going to buy some jeans and a jacket because my pants(and belt) are literally falling apart at the seams, and it's raining too muchto continue with one grungy sweatshirt. I truly never thought my body couldproduce these types of odors. Ah, the things we discover about ourselves whenwe're far from home!

19.08.10

Today was simply bliss: we woke up without an alarm,casually ate breakfast, showered, and lazily walked towards the inner city.First thing on Tim and my's to-do list was to shop, perhaps until we dropped(which we nearly did). As I stated, my favorite pair of Levis simply tuckeredout, and let's be honest, I don't need much more reason to go shopping,especially with Timothy. He ended up getting a sweatshirt and some kicks, whichimmediately made him look like a preppy European, and I bought the first pairof men's pants that fit. As is our fate, we got perfectly matching white shoes,haha. We then grabbed our first Chinese food of the trip. It was hilariously difficulttrying to communicate with chinese-germans, but we managed. From there, werendezvoused with J&J and headed to a park, where we basked in the sun (andshade) for a few hours. This was our first day of real sunshine; we barely knewwhat to do with ourselves we were so giddy.

Fast forward until eveningtime, just at dusk: we met up withLena and Daniel and a few of their friends, who's names, I'm embarrassed toadmit, still escape me. Ourevening plan was to "sip wine and play cards on the steps of the opera house."So we did. I appreciate how 20-somethings spend their free time with friends.So far from what I'm used to: watching movies at a friend's house, facebookchatting, house parties where everyone's too drunk to actually talk to eachother etc etc. I took Tim to get Maultaschen, a swabian filled-pasta dish thatI LOVED the last time I was here. He of course loved it, too. J&J? Not somuch, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment