Monday, October 11, 2010

Paris

20.08.10

What a scheissmorgen (crappy morning). Woke up at 6:30,packed, ate, headed to the trainstation, only to find out that we couldn't makethe 9 am train or the 1pm train to Paris. Nope. Booked. Has been for days andhow-could-you-not-know-that,-stupid-Americans? We attempted to get on a trainand find standing room, but there wasn't even that. We were a hot mess beforethe goddess behind the Deutsche Bahn ticket counter helped us find analternative route. So off we went to Mannheim, a crappy little city 30 minutesnorth of Stuttgart. In Mannheim, we had a 3 hour layover, with which we didvery little. Now we're safely on a high-speed train to Paris, goingapproximately 180 mph. I was in a bad way earlier, but with a little help frommy friends (and McDonald's), things are fine again. We'll be getting into parisaround 4:30, I already figured out our route to the hostel, and we've made apact to not eat out at all, since Paris is notoriously expensive, and ourhostel FINALLY has a kitchen. We've also promised each other (at least Jacoband I) that we will sleep only minimally and we will see everything we possiblycan, no matter what.Also, everyone has shared and battled a cold on this trip... except me... so far.You can bet that I am knocking on wood as I type this, haha. More later!

20.08.10

We are getting pro at navigating new train stations Once weleave the sanctuary of clearly marked hallways and exit signs and enter themean streets, it's another story entirely, haha. Paris kind of reminds me ofAmsterdam in the sense of very separate districts making up the city as awhole, as well as the busy street life at night+ narrow streets and evennarrower sidewalks. After we all showered we immediately hit the streets andheaded to the Eiffel Tower (yes, we realize how original and creative we are).To my surprise, Paris is much bigger than maps give it credit to be. From ourhostel to the Eiffel Tower, we had a 30+ minute commute. I also would like totake this opportunity to give some love to the Deutsche Bahn; their publictransportation is clean, efficient and fairly spacious. The french metro systemis dirty and people are practically on top of each other.

Anyway, the tower! It was breathtaking. We turned a corner and there it was, glowingagainst dusk. It is so much more thanany of us could have predicted. We walked under it to a grassy area wheretourists of every persuasion took touristy pictures of each other, and overlyaggressive black men try to sell beer and water and little souveniers. I'm notone for lines, but the line to climb up didn't take to long, and by the time wewere ascending, the tower began sparkling, just as I hoped it would. The viewwas incredible! We stayed up there for an hour, not even talking, just soakingit all up. It was here that I felt my first real pang of homesickness. Whiletalking to a friend who spent a year in Austria about missing America, Iscoffed at her and couldn't fathom what she was talking about. I know now. It'sthe little things; in fact, we've come up with a list of things the four of usmiss most: 1) free water 2) free toilets 3) free ketchup 4) milk 5) kitchens 6)not being stared at. As soon as I get back I'm going to pee everywhere Ipossibly can, while drinking at every water fountain in town and then, I'll gointo McDonalds and pump out all the ketchup in every tub. Just because I can.Because I'm Uh'merrcan!

21.08.10 Paris, day 2

Today, Tim and I woke early to do laundry, which naturallyin Paris, raped us in the wallet. I spent 6 Euro on clean underwear and socks,and Tim spent 7. Gross. Then, we meandered towards the Notre Dame and found alongthe way the manga/japanese district of Paris. Hahaha, what a hilarious andsurprising discovery. I humored Tim through the first shop, but beyond that, Ihad to draw the classy line. On the way, we found a bakery and a grocery storewhere we picked up lunch, for a grand total of 2 euro each. I love eatingcheaply.

The Notre Dame is about half the size I imagined it to be.In the Disney movie "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," they made it seem enormous,but compared to the Köln Cathedral, it's not that spectactular. Germany 1,France 0. What France lacks in the city, it more than makes up for incountryside. I can't really compare it to anything in the States, but I lovedthe ride between Mannheim-Paris more than any ride I've experienced in Oregon.For those who might someday visit Paris: do not waste your time on the ParisMuseum Pass. It's a waste of money. All old churches and all old castles arethe same. Why spend 9 Euro on a church you could see in somewhere as unknown asFüssen? After circling the Notre Dame and poking fun at the dedicated touristswaiting for hours in line, we headed towards the Fountain of St. Michael, whichwas surprisingly impressive for a fountian. I can't imagine something thatgrand and beauitful on the side of my apartment complex. This is where our 3 hours tour began. This time,we had a Canadian as a tour guide. Though he may have sounded like us, hecertainly had the French snobbery. He was interesting, mildly funny, andinsightful, however, he did not receive a tip from Tim and me.

Being the history nerds we are, Timothy and I had hugehistory boners during this tour. I actually got to see the square where KingLouis XVI and Marie Antoinette were beheaded! It's hard to imagine today, sincehundreds of cars pass through it every minute, but thinking about what hadhappened in the centuries before gave me goosebumps. I loved being able toshare this with my best friend. He, like me, can be quiet and appreicate wherewe are, and how important and special that moment is. No matter where we are, Ialways feel safe and secure with my Tim. After the tour, we navigated a route back to the hostel where we foundJ&J, and decided to pack and prepare for tomorrow's stressful jouney toMadrid, Spain.

Tonight we did another bar crawl, and although this one wasfilled with friendly foreigners, it wasn't my favorite. Call me biased, butanything that is offered in both France and Germany will always be infinatelycooler in Germany. Bwahaha.

Anyway, early morning tomorrow. Gotta sleep. Bis bald!

No comments:

Post a Comment