Monday, October 11, 2010

Neuschwanstein

18.08.10

Füssen-Stuttgart

Tim and I are now on day 13 of our takeover of Europe, andfinally, finally we are feeling it. My body aches from hiking the alps, Ididn't get breakfast or a shower this morning, the ATM only gave me 50 eurowhen it charged me for 100, and our train was delayed for about five minutes,causing us to probably miss our transfer train back to München. How long willthat set us back? Two hours. Prior to yesterday, I was pretty content where Iwas, even if I did run out of clean socks a week ago and have been wearing thesame two shirts for an equal amount of time. Jen and Jacob speak of home atleast a handful of times a day, so I in turn, also am also doing something thatI didn't want to do on this trip: look back. I'm not homesick, per say, but Iam ready to be settled somewhere. All three of my companions will be home in aweek's time, but I won't be "home" until October 1st. It'simpossible to look more than a few days ahead at a time; it's just toodaunting.

Anyway.

We got up early to see King Ludwig's two castles:Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein, which are located about 3 miles outside ofFüssen. To my surprise, we could actually see Neuschwanstein from our patio.None of us were willing to shell out 10 Euro to go inside the castle, but Timand Jacob definitely did sneak in and get quite far before they were caught.Jen and I opted to stay outside because the insides of castles don'tparticularly interest us. The surrounding countryside is breath-taking. Thegrass is simply a different, more vibrant shade of green, and there weresmatterings of small huts and cows everywhere. What I did not anticipate,however, was the thousands upon thousands of overly eager tourists that WILLget that perfect tourist shot, even if it takes 10 minutes and they'recompletely blocking the walkway. I'm a people person, but crowds cause mystomach drop to my knees and my brain to cease functioning. We more or lessplayed a game of keep away with the tourists. What was also surpising to me wasthe fact we were the only american tourists. Actually, there was an americancouple from our hostel that werealso there, but that's it. Everyone else was asian, german, or italian. Gofigure, eh? We had a picnic after ignoring a "do not cross" sign, about 20 metersabove the crowds at the Marienbrücke (the bridge that gives the view that everypostcard and poster has of Neuschwanstein). Jacob and I were literally a footaway from death (the ground was impossibly far below us) while eating, butdon't tell my mom!

We spent the rest of our day bumming around town: I boughtsocks, Jacob and I looked for some books in English, Tim took a nap etc. Also,my culinary tour of Germany is now complete, with our dinner of Döners, aturkish sandwich made of Kalbfleisch (calf meat), tomatoes, lettuce, a yogurtsauce, and unknown spices. To round out or time in Füssen, Jacob and I went ona walk, where we found a small graveyard and a lake.

I guess that's it for now. Oh wait! I forgot- we decided tochange our route last night. We are no longer going to Koblenz, we are insteadgoing to Stuttgart. Here's to hoping we actually find a hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment